Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas

I love Christmas and it is also my birthday. On top of that it is my eighteenth birthday, so I am really excited. Every year I have a birthday party with just two or three of my closest friends. It is also like a Christmas party. My friends give me a birthday/Christmas gift and I give them a Christmas gift.

Here is my Christmas dilemma. One of my friends is cheap, very cheap. I know that they don't have to get me a gift and all that but it kind of makes me mad. I put an effort into their gifts to put together what they would like and she doesn't. This person already told me that she was going to just get me a three dollar bath set from Walmart(which she is getting for everyone else). I know I should just be grateful for what I get and that Christmas is not just about the gifts but it just doesn't seem right. It is my eighteenth birthday.

Here is my question. Is it OK for me to give one friend more/better Christmas gifts then the other one. My point is that I am closer to this friend, she gives me better gifts, and she is just nicer too. I feel bad about it so should I just give them the same gifts or should I just give them the gifts i picked out for them and not say anything. I don't want to be rude but the one friend is more important then the other.

2 comments:

  1. Even though there's an old saying, that it is better to give than to receive, I think you should just not worry about the difference.

    I think if the whole gift giving thing is important to your cheap friend than she would put more thought into it. Perhaps your cheap friend just doesn't care that much about gifts.

    So I wouldn't think badly at all about giving her a cheap gift right back.

    Or, you might even do a gift exchange with all you group of friends and set a dollar amount.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think sometimes it doesn't matter how much you spend on a gift, but that you got them something that shows you thought about what they'd like and it shows you really do care about them.

    Personally, I spend very little on Christmas but get gifts that I know are very personal. For example, instead of spending the money on my mother, I'm making her a mix CDs of all her favorites so she can listen to it while she's at work in the greenhouse. I know that she'll appreciate how much thought and effort went into the gift instead of what I spent.

    If your cheap friend want to be cheap, than it's not wrong to give a cheap one back. If you set a low dollar amount with them, then it's alright or even just let them know that you feel like they maybe don't really appreciate when you spend so much money, so you held back this year and did something simple. Sometimes you just have a better friend and you want to do more for the other. There is noting wrong in having a "best" friend and just a friend and spending more on the "best" friend.

    ReplyDelete